Black and Latino......
I came across this video and thought it was super interesting plus I had no idea that half of the people in this video were Latinos, pretty cool! As I was watching it I thought to myself "wow, I can relate to that, that, and that"... now, I am sure you are wondering how could I ever relate to a video like this.... I'm not black! Exactly, I'm not, but I'm White/Latino and my experiences are similar but the opposite... Let me explain- I grew up speaking Spanish at home (according to my mom it was my first language) and we continued to speak Spanish at home through out my childhood because my mom knew that once I started school k-12, English would dominate-which it has and she would remind us to be proud of being Argentine-American. So in my experience, many people who hear me speak Spanish or when I say I'm Latina, don't believe me because I'm too white and not from Mexico. In high school, to my close friends, I was the "Spanish, who spoke Spanish" and to the Hispanics I was the white girl who spoke Spanish but with a different/funny accent (to this day I still get comments about my accent, if I'm around people other than Argentines). Now, there are many things that have played into me having these experiences......1. I've lived in places and during times where lets just say people were a little more ignorant then usual--They'd think that people who spoke "Spanish were Mexican".. don't get me wrong, I love the Mexican culture/people, I even married one.
2. The perception people have that Latino's have darker skin- I have heard this a lot "I look more Latin then you"....Yes, I'm of lighter skinned and my family lineage mainly comes from Spain/Europe and being more dark or lighter skinned doesn't make a person more "Latin".... So what makes a person a true Latin? or for that matter any other ethnicity?
I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this on their own term and a topic like this can be debated in so many ways while sparking many emotions, but I just thought I'd share the video and my thoughts...... enjoy the video, if you decide to watch it!
I'm half Latino and half black too. Jk.great video, I think anyone with cultures that are intermixed deal with these issues of idenity or at least have to deal with explaining their life to people who wonder why they look the way they do.
ReplyDelete